Eketahuna Mounted Rifles, prior to their departure to South Africa on 6th January 1901, in front of the Express Building on the future site of the Queen Mother Elizabeth Garden and Waka Park. Haswell Street can be seen to the right and the building in the background is the present day museum.
Arrow point to the building on the site during 1933 Jubilee Celebrations with a bullock team hauling a dray.
In 1942 it's the site of Yew Kew Fruit Shop, here shown, surrounded by earthquake damage. The upstairs was family accommodation and a ladies' dressmaker.
1951 soon to be the home of the TAB downstairs and a range of other shops and some time after 2000 the Queen Mother Elizabeth Garden.
In the early part of the century the park became derelict and the redevelopment plan was established to acknowledge the many centuries of history here in Eketāhuna and our shared history since 1873.
Commemorative plaque - Queen Mother Elizabeth Garden to commemorate the 100th Birthday of Her Royal Highness The Queen Mother 4th August 200.
The Waka Park - "Mihi ki te Kuini" the Marae
Features Ngā poukaitiaki (sentries) Ranginui and Papatūānuku supported by Pā Tūwatawata (palisades) on the left, ngā kohatu (rock's) on the right, and the Waka tiwai with the pou Tangaroa and Tane at either end, on the backwall the name of the Waka, Te Kotahitanga, where the Queen's memorial plaque was, which is now on the back of the carved seat supported by two wahine Rangatira, Hotuwaipara and Reretua. Adorning the southern wall is the symbolic carving of a Waka Taua (war canoe) and a beautiful mural of Ngā whitu o Matariki painted by Stella Governor a young local artist.
Mihi ki te Kuini te Kotahitanga o Eketāhuna tiihei mauri ora.
For more details view the Waka Park Project page.